Over the previous three lessons we’ve looked at a wide range of different creative media products, including many traditional media formats such as video, audio, music & animation.
However, the growth of the new media sectors has lead to a rise in many newer forms of media product that we haven’t seen before. Many of these have become very popular in recent years and continue to grow in popularity.
In this lesson, we will learn about the types of products used in the media industry, including:
A website is a series of interconnected web pages. These web pages are made using a language called HTML and combine text and images, usually with the goal of providing information.
Websites provide a platform for media industry businesses to showcase their content and products and reach a worldwide audience. As a result, using a website can boost customer engagement and increase sales.
Websites are the main product used by the internet media sector. However, all media sectors use websites to showcase their products and content.
Below are examples of how websites are used within the media industry:
- The internet is the main media sector that profits from websites. Websites are hosted online and are the main way we interact with the internet. The internet is a large platform that extends further than websites and search engines. Initially, the internet was purely for computer networking to access the same workplace systems, work together, and share hard-drive files. Nowadays, the internet is mainly used through website access. The internet makes most of its profits from websites and search engine use. Google has over 5 billion searches a day.
- Websites are a product used by each media sector. Every business in both traditional and new media will have its website. Websites are used to promote, sell, and distribute a business’s product. It is the best way to reach a global audience and allows the customer to access the content at any time, at any place.
Create a list of every type of websites product you can think of. You could do this as a brainstorm/mind map to make it more visual.
Multimedia products combine various types of media, such as text, audio, images, animation & video into a single product. For example, multimedia products include PowerPoint presentations, museum experiences, interactive touchscreens, and interactive games.
Media industry sectors such as the interactive media and internet use multimedia products.
Below are examples of how these media industry sectors use multimedia:
- The interactive media sector produce multimedia products as its main product. Interactive media businesses specialise in producing products like interactive touchscreens which make use of a variety of types of media for making their products more engaging.
- The internet uses multimedia products to sell content online such as eLearning. eLearning has become a popular service in recent years, with more users signing up for eLearning courses every year. Multimedia content provides the ability to use various forms of media in one complete service. For example, eLearning offers the ability to view presentations and video chat live, take tests and chat online with other students, all at the same time.
Create a list of every type of multimedia product you can think of. You could do this as a brainstorm/mind map to make it more visual.
eBooks are digital books that can be read on an eBook reader, such as a Kindle, or on smart devices using an eReader app. We can get all kinds of books as eBooks, such as educational textbooks, technical manuals, fiction novels & comics.
Due to the decline in popularity of physical publishing products such as books, eBooks have provided an excellent alternative for the publishing industry.
Three creative media industry sectors that use eBooks are digital publishing, film, and computer gaming.
Below are examples of how each of these media sectors use eBooks:
- Digital publishing businesses use eBooks as one of their most popular products to distribute. Amazon reported selling 90 million eBooks in 2019. This figure is predicted to rise to 1.11 billion by 2023. eBooks are quickly becoming the most popular way to read published novels. Physical print published books have been declining in recent years. eBooks are a great way to consume content on the go by reading eBooks on any smart device or kindle.
- Film businesses work with publishing agencies to create books based on storylines. This is an excellent way for film businesses to generate more profit through different products. eBooks also allow the film industry to reach a wider audience and engage more people with their content. Many film novels are available to read on eBooks.
- Computer gaming businesses work with publishing agencies to create eBooks based on their gaming content. Many computer gaming businesses release books to develop storylines further and tell the story through different mediums. eBooks are a popular way for computer gaming businesses to sell their book content digitally and reach a wider audience.
Create a list of every type of e-book product you can think of. You could do this as a brainstorm/mind map to make it more visual.
Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) are the most recently developed forms of media. However, these sectors are still evolving with the ongoing development of software and technologies. VR/AR can be described as “products and software that bridges the digital and physical worlds”.
The main media industry sectors that use VR and AR are television, computer gaming and the internet.
Below are examples of VR/AR products and how they are used:
- VR allows users to experience a digital reality using VR headsets and headphones. VR gives users the ability to immerse themselves in virtual events such as live television, concerts, and computer and home console games.
- Television businesses allow audience members to immerse themselves in live television, such as sports events, using a VR headset.
- Computer gaming businesses allow users to play games while fully immersed in VR. VR headsets and accessories allow players to participate in the game as if they are there. Players can physically move around as if they are in the game using motion sensors.
- AR enables users to view virtual products and features in the physical world through the use of a camera. We often do this through the use of smart devices like smartphones.
- Internet businesses use AR features, which include smart maps such as Google Maps. AR allows internet users to blend the digital and physical world using their smart device camera, for example, seeing directions through looking through the camera on Google Maps.
- Computer gaming businesses can create and sell apps compatible with AR software. The most recent and popular example of this is the PokemonGo gaming app. PokemonGo allows players to see digital characters in the real world by looking through their smart device camera. This is a new and exciting way to engage players with content.
Create a list of every type of AR/VR product you can think of. You could do this as a brainstorm/mind map to make it more visual.
So, to summarise what we’ve learnt in this lesson:
- Websites provide a platform for media industry businesses to showcase their content and products and reach a worldwide audience.
- Traditional and new media sectors use websites to showcase their products and content.
- Multimedia products can be described as “media that combines different content forms such as text, audio, images, animation, or video into one single product.”
- Media industry sectors, including interactive media and the internet use multimedia products such as virtual learning and interactive social media posts.
- eBooks are digital books that can be read on any eBook reader, such as a Kindle and the Google or Apple Books application on smart devices.
- Three main media industry sectors use eBooks: digital publishing, film, and computer gaming.
- Media industry sectors that use VR and AR products are television, computer gaming and the internet.
- VR gives users the ability to immerse themselves in virtual events such as live television, concerts, and computer and home console games.
- AR allows users to view virtual products and features using a smart device camera that blends the digital and physical world.